Metabolic Syndrome is the name for a group of risk factors related to heart disease and Type 2 Diabetes. Many of the risk factors are related to diet and lifestyle. Metabolic Syndrome has been defined as the presence of any three of the following five risk factors:
- Elevated waist circumference (excess weight around the tummy)
– If your waist measures 102cm or more (men) or 88cm or more (women) you need to reduce your waist measurement.
- Elevated triglycerides in the blood (or drug treatment for elevated triglycerides)
– Triglycerides come from foods we eat and are also produced by the liver but lifestyle choices like drinking excess alcohol can contribute to an increase. High blood triglycerides tend to be associated with low levels of HDL cholesterol – the ‘good’ or protective cholesterol.
- Low levels of healthy cholesterol (HDL) in the blood (or drug treatment for reduced HDL)
– Raised triglycerides and reduced HDL cholesterol increase your risk for atherosclerosis (narrowing of the arteries) which is a contributing factor in heart disease.
- Elevated blood pressure (or drug treatment for hypertension) ≥ 130 systolic or ≥ 85 diastolic
– An ideal blood pressure is 120 / 80. Do you know your numbers?
- Elevated fasting blood glucose (or treatment for elevated glucose)
– Impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance are sometimes referred to as ‘pre-diabetes’. They occur when your blood glucose level is higher than normal, but not high enough to be called diabetes. One third of people who have impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose will develop diabetes unless lifestyle changes are made.
Do YOU fit the criteria?
If you fit the criteria for Metabolic Syndrome you are at a greater risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
Metabolic Syndrome is reversible.
At ReMed Natural Medicine Clinic we take pride in our comprehensive approach to heart health. We’ll assess your pathology results, consider further functional pathology testing and put in place evidence-based nutritional and herbal medicines to get results.
Make an appointment NOW by clicking here